State of 2012
Everyone is doing a recap of their year, so I thought I’d talk about what I did and didn’t do. Here it is, the good, the bad and the ugly of 2012.
- Fungi, the long-awaited fungal anthology, made it into the world. Not only that, it reached our pre-sale goal.
- We ran a successful Indiegogo campaign to raise enough money to pay pro rates to writers of the Sword and Mythos anthology (the cover illustration is by Nacho Molina Parra). That anthology opens to subs January 15. The Innsmouth Free Press website has the details.
- I edited my first solo anthology, Dead North, a zombie anthology set in Canada.
- I delivered my first collection, Shedding Her Own Skin, to my publisher.
- Future Lovecraft was re-released by a larger publisher, Prime Books, in trade paperback.
- Due to all my editing and publishing activity, I published less stories than during the previous year. My stories in 2012 were:
- Memory (Expanded Horizons, December 2011)
- Collect Call (Expanded Horizons, March 2012)
- The Performance (Journal of Unlikely Entomology, May 2012)
- Transluscent Skin (Solstice Magazine, August 2012)
- Live Sho (my blog, September 2012)
- Doppelgangers (Exile Quarterly, November 2012)
- In the House of the Hummingbirds (Lovecraft eZine, November 2012)
That was all pretty good. The bad and the ugly happened mostly in my non-writer life (family illness), though there was one writing wrinkle: I didn’t finish the YA novel I was working on. I still plan to work on Young Blood, but I just couldn’t push with it in December due to several and sundry reasons. Young Blood is the story of a teenage garbage collector in Mexico City who gets involved with a narco vampire. If you are curious, I put some chapters online.If you are an agent, sign me up already.
In 2012, I plan to finish the novel. I will also co-edit Sword and Mythos and put several more titles through Innsmouth Free Press. I plan to edit another anthology for a Canadian publisher, this time about urban fantasy. I will be a guest of honour at Keycon 2013. I will likely write more short fiction, as I can never get away from it.
My big wish for 2013 is to get an agent (after successful completion of Young Blood) and sell a novel (yeah, same novel). Oh, and hopefully I’ll be starting my Master’s degree. Yeah, I’ve decided to take the plunge.