Super brief bio
Silvia Moreno-Garcia is the author of the novels Velvet Was the Night, Mexican Gothic, Gods of Jade and Shadow, and a bunch of other books. She has also edited several anthologies, including the World Fantasy Award-winning She Walks in Shadows (a.k.a. Cthulhu’s Daughters).
Mexican by birth, Canadian by inclination. Silvia Moreno-Garcia is the author of a number of critically acclaimed novels, including Gods of Jade and Shadow (Sunburst Award for Excellence in Canadian Literature of the Fantastic, Ignyte Award), Mexican Gothic (Locus Award, Pacific Northwest Book Award, Goodreads Award), and others.
She has edited several anthologies, including She Walks in Shadows (World Fantasy Award winner, published in the USA as Cthulhu’s Daughters). Silvia is the publisher of Innsmouth Free Press. She co-edited the horror magazine The Dark with Sean Wallace from 2017 to 2020. She’s a columnist for The Washington Post.
She has an MA in Science and Technology Studies from the University of British Columbia. Her thesis can be read online and is titled “Magna Mater: Women and Eugenic Thought in the Work of H.P. Lovecraft.” She lives in Vancouver, British Columbia.
Get in touch
I do not respond to any inquiries via social media. For business questions contact my agents. For publicity or interviews, contact my publishers.
Do not contact me about TV production or casting questions.
I’m CLOSED to blurbs.
Publicists: If you want your book considered for my SFF Washington Post column, send a press release to the books section with pertinent info.
I am interested in adult science fiction, fantasy or horror novels, novellas or collections. I don’t read any YA/children’s fiction.
Events, book rights, translation
If it’s about an event, book deals or translation rights, contact my literary agent, Eddie Schneider, JABberwocky Agency. E-mail: eddie [at] awfulagent [dot] com
Film + TV
For film and TV inquiries: Dana Spector, CAA.
I maintain a wide collection of high-resolution photos for editorial purposes. Feel free to download them. Credit Martin Dee.
- Why Silvia Moreno-Garcia likes to write genre-bending novels — CBC, 2018
- All Things Considered — NPR, 2016
- A Q&A With Silvia Moreno-Garcia, Author of July’s #1 Indie Next List Pick — ABA, 2020
- Silvia Moreno-García, ganadora del premio Locus de terror: “No podemos esconder el pasado porque es como una casa embrujada” — NIUS, 2021
- Silvia Moreno-Garcia Reveals Her Noir Side, Kirkus 2021
- Winner Locus Award 2020 for Mexican Gothic
- Winner Goodreads Award 2020 for Mexican Gothic
- Winner 2021, Pacific Northwest Book Awards Mexican Gothic
- Winner 2020, Sunburst Award for novel Gods of Jade and Shadow
- Winner, 2020, Ignyte Award for novel Gods of Jade and Shadow
- Winner 2016, World Fantasy Award for anthology She Walks in Shadows
- Winner 2016, Copper Cylinder Award for novel Signal to Noise
- Finalist for the Aurora, British Fantasy, Nebula, Shirley Jackson, Stoker, Mythopoeic Fiction Award in Adult Literature awards.
You can support me via Patreon.
Stay informed about my work. Sign up for my newsletter